Friday 2 April 2010

Look back at you preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt the progression of it to the full product ?

Brief for my preliminary task:

Film and edit a character opening a door, crossing a room and sitting down in a chair opposite another character. A couple of lines of dialogue must then exchange between charcters&match on action, shot/reverse shot and the 180 degree rule should be demonstrated .

Brief for my main task:

The titled and opening of a new fiction film, to last a maximum of two minutes (all video and audio material must be original, produced by candidates, with the exception of music or audio effects from a copyright-free source).

The brief for out preliminary was very specific and out lined exactly what we had to do, which made it appear simp0le in comparison to our main task brief when we ere asked for the opening titles of a film the only restrictions we had were it had to be 2mins and the rest was up to us which left us with a lot of work.

Preproduction

For our preliminary task we choose to film a man walking into a room where there is a woman sitting down when he would then conduct a police interview. For this we had a storyboard, which was easy to do because we already knew the characters stage direction. But we did not have a photo storyboard or location reece which presented us with problems. The place where we filmed was cramped and there was a lot of outside noise which was bad for continuity.

We did not have a shooting schedule which seemed to prolong thing because we were thinking what to film next and we filmed in chronological order moving the camera away and back to and from the same place.

We didn’t have any pitch, treatment or mood board to present our ideas to get feedback to improve on, which minimised the chances of our final product being of a high standard.

We didn’t have any rehearsals which affects the way our actors were on set.

Where in our prelim task we just decided we was going to do a police interview, for our main task we done extensive research and textual analysis to help us decide what fairytale we was going to pick and portraying a convincing opening sequence, and rehearsed with our cast a lot.

We pitched our ideas to our class using our treatment and went back and drafted another one until we had a good enough one where they could find no fault with it. We had a mood board to help convey our ideas so they would understand a bit better.

We had auditions that helped us find the perfect cast member we are looking for to fit the character, we described in our treatment.

We also had a shooting schedule which helped things run a bit more smoothly and we are able to get rid of some cast member earlier than others, because we planned it like that, which it made it earlier to manage cast later on.

We had a storyboard and photo-storyboard which we drafted and re-drafted until it was as good as it could be. We also performed a location reece which helped us detect potential problems with our location and note them down. We also had to get timetables of certain areas of the school to know when we are able to film.

Production

Still adjusting to the equipment it took me longer to set-up and time was wasted trying to figure out where things go and how to do certain things, for example where battery goes or which way round the tape goes in, all things that waste little amounts of time the add up when you have a limited amount of time and location.

Because we didn’t have auditions or rehearsals that cast were not sure of their lines and they were not very good actors/actresses which worked against us. The titled and opening of a new fiction film, to last a maximum of two minutes (all video and audio material must be original, produced by candidates, with the exception of music or audio effects from a copyright-free source).

This was a contrast to what I was like when working on my AS opening task because further practice, work shops and use of the equipment made it easier to use and operate the equipment, manage cast and plan for the actual day. This obviously allowed things to run much smoother and quicker.

Post Production

Just like with everything else, editing was very new to us and we didn’t have much practice with editing. So whilst editing it was very slow because we were new to the programme that means it took up times to find certain things and we didn’t really name our rushes that we made so when it came to find certain shots that we have uploaded which wasted our time.

In our AS we were much used to the AVID technology because we had a book that taught us all the details of the programme and we had much practice, so this meant that we were able to edit a lot more efficiently.

In our prelim all of us edited at the same time which again we very time wasting, but in our AS task we edited at different times and recorded our progress in a editing log which made it much faster while editing.


Evaluation and Feedback:

Prelim:

In this task the feed back I received and my evaluation for this task was very important because it was the feedback and evaluation outlining the problems and issue that I had with this task, such as not being able to edit without assistance, problems with the equipment, casting problems, all that helped me see what went wrong with this task and remember and don’t let it happen in my main task. The main lesson I learnt was to, plan my work fully, have a shooting schedule, do a location recce and hold auditions for cast. All these things I have taken away and applied into my main task, with out the evaluation and feedback, these problems wouldn’t be properly address and sorted out. If I was to do anything different I would re-shoot, making sure all my shots are perfect and that I had a variety of shots for when it came to editing it would be easier.

Main:

In contrast to my last prelim task I was receiving feedback through out my whole task, this helped me a great deal as it; pointed out what was wrong with my work, suggested ways I could improve my work and overall the feedback I received helped me make my work better that it would have been without it. Even though the feedback I received conflicted with my ideas I had I knew it was all constructive criticism which would benefit my work in the long run, which it did. As the feedback I received came from the people from our target audience, I had to adjust it in order for it to live up to the targeted audiences expectations for they are the individuals that I would hope tyo go and watch my film if it was ever made.

Key lesson I have learnt from this task is: how to take criticism, how to use Avid and other equipment with much more confidence, I am more knowledgeable about the whole filming process and distribution, I know more about individual roles in production.

If I was to do anything differently I would have reshot some of the scenes and shot we have because they are not at their best which our latest feedback indicated.

0 comments: